Thursday, March 17, 2011

How do you serve?

Living a life of servitude - family first

A few months ago, while prepping for a client meeting, one of my colleagues suggested I NOT mention that I had recently been spending a huge amount of time on family responsibilities and obligations. It really floored me that she even suggested that. Serving my family is a gift that I am honored to receive. I will not wear a cloak to cover that reality.

Since November a large amount of my time has been spent assisting family members (and friends) in various ways - mainly health related issues. That's what comes with being a parent (and daughter). Serving our family doesn't stop because the "Open for business sign" is on. In fact, serving family never stops, in my book!

When we become parents we are automatically committed to a life of servitude: as our parents age, the role is reversed and we must serve them. It doesn't stop because our children reach a certain age or become financially independent. No doubt I will be helping my family in some way until the day I die.

My work - my life's purpose - is serving humanity in the best way possible, beginning at home and filtering out to the community, including the business community, my clients. When I am helping others, especially my family, for whatever reason, there is so much joy and contentment present. If I can make their load a little lighter and their day a little brighter, I am doing my work well.

As a client or potential client, colleague or friend, what you realize when you hear me speak of servitude is that I am devoted to and passionate about serving, which naturally filters to you.

How do you serve? I am proud to say my family comes first and BLISSED to be able to live up to the commitment to serve humanity in whatever capacity I can.

No comments: