Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Currently I have published 3 books, with many more on the way, including 2 manuscripts. Simply completing that first one was such an incredible feeling. Even more amazing was when I actually began to sell a few, then a few more, then a few more.
With each one I've gained more and more insight as to why everyone, especially a business owner, needs to write a book of their own. When I meet with clients, one of the best tools I can give them is The Blisstory Journal. Filled with over 365 questions of the past, present and future, the book immediately gives them insight into themselves. Whether they share the answers with me or not, the process helps me get to know them better because they begin to look at themselves with more joy. It also reaffirms my message - helping them love and accept themselves as they are right now.
Here are my top 10 reasons to get started on yours today:
1. Everyone Has a Story - Simply being alive gives you a basis for a story. We all have a story, sometimes we just don't know where to start. If you are a business owner, you have a lot of information to share. Think about how you started - what is your why? Share your passion, share your success story.
2. Expertise - When you are write about your industry, you automatically become an expert in your field.
3. Elevated Status - Generally speaking, authors are respected by the community. This will put you on a whole new playing field.
4. It's Easy! - Once you get started. For some, it's just getting started. Try writing in a journal for 21 days. The Blisstory Journal is a great tool for getting started, with over 365 questions for you to answer.
5. Increases Your Visibility - You can reach a global audience faster - radio and TV people love to interview authors.
6. Competitive Edge - Being an author or expert in your field gives you a bonus over your competition.
7. Income Stream - The obvious is that they become part of your product list on your website. At any event you participate in, whether it's a networking event, trade show or speaking engagement, you will always have books available for sale.
8. Spin Off Products - You can create additional products from your book - such as workshops and journals.
9. Books Change Lives - When you share your passion and a powerful topic, you have the capacity to change lives, especially your own.
10. Leave a Legacy/Become Immortal - Books seldom go in the garbage. Your children will keep yours long after you are gone, to be shared with family and friends. Most people either donate books to charity, sell them at garage sales or cash them in at used book stores. Your book will continuously cycle.
What are you waiting for? Grab a pen and paper - start writing your story today!
Wednesday, November 24, 2010
When I say them, I know that something wonderful has taken place. It could be as simple as someone holding a door for me or as huge as someone buying my groceries. Yes, that actually happened for me one year.
Several years ago, as a single mom, I literally lived paycheck to paycheck. Taking care of all the responsibilities was a tremendous effort. One Saturday afternoon, just before Thanksgiving, my sister and brother in law called to invite me shopping at my favorite store, Costco. They had just won a little extra cash and wanted to buy us food! After grabbing a few items, literally, my brother in law said, "What's that? That's not going to feed you all!" They joyfully went up and down each aisle until my cart was overflowing with enough food to feed the 3 of us for 4 months! What BLISS!
How many times a day do you say, "Thank you"? How many times a day do you hear those words? Pay attention. When we hear those words it means we've done something or said something to make a difference in another persons life. The gift of a thank you is free!
“Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.”
William Arthur Ward
Thank you all for being part of my blissful universe! Here's to a BLISS FULL Thanksgiving!
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
The holiday season has not even officially started and people are already feeling over stressed and burned out. What's going to happen next week when the Thanksgiving festivities begin?
"We are so busy that we've multitasked our way right out of the present moment" says Thomas Crum, author of Three Deep Breaths.
Where is the bliss in that? Reconnecting with our inner joy is essential to creating peace in our lives. You don't need a 10 day vacation in the islands to find it (okay, I admit that might be nice as the weather changes.) You can start right now creating inner harmony, making room for less stress, by taking much needed bliss breaks.
Here a 7 tips to add to your tool kit and make your life a little lighter:
1. Breathe deep at least 3 times per day - Stop whatever you are doing at least 3 times per day and take 3 deep, slow purposeful breaths - filling your lungs with oxygen and your soul with life. This brings a sense of inner tranquility and can soothe away any tension.
2. Take a 15 minute walk, preferably in nature - Simply walk at a pace that feels comfortable to you. Pay attention to the ebb and flow of the natural world. There is a sweet sensation that comes over us when we observe the synchronicity of life through animals and plants.
3. Remove one thing from your life that is non-essential - We fill our time with non-essential "stuff". Think about what you do on a daily basis, ask yourself is it really bringing you joy? Eliminate one thing that feels daunting and taxing.
4. Laugh, laughter feeds the soul - Watch your favorite comedy, write down and relive the funniest thing that ever happened to you or simply sit and laugh. Laughter helps you take things lightheartedly and is one of the best forms of medicine. Bonus...it's FREE!
5. Listen to music everyday - Turn on your favorite tunes and listen. Sing if it makes you feel good, out loud if you can. Focusing on music can reduce pain, decrease depression and bring about a sense of calm.
6. Practice gratitude - Look forward to every day and be grateful for each moment. In any given minute we can find something to be grateful for; sometimes we simply don't see it. Start a gratitude journal, share with your friends what you are thankful for, including them, practice saying, "Thank you" more often.
7. Of course, Smile! No explanation needed!
Isn't it time you took a bliss break?
Tuesday, November 9, 2010
Photo's by Jeffrey Williams
Sharing love and happiness, pure blissings, comes naturally to me. It can begin with a simple smile or hello to a stranger and go on to include helping out a friend or neighbor. We all have “stuff” that holds our attention, that keeps us stuck in being “selfish instead of selfless”. Sometimes the best way to get over it is to pitch in and help someone else, turning on the light and giving a spark of joy.
Last week, while at the grocery store, I witnessed a lone mother spill her bags next to her car. She was clearly in distress juggling a baby on one hip and a small child at her side. Naturally, I walked over and helped her, as many others just watched. She was a little apprehensive at first. People aren’t used to the kindness of strangers
When we were just about finished, an employee stopped to help. The cute little mom offered him a tip and he politely refused, saying he was happy to be of help. One simple gesture of kindness lifted her spirits and changed the course of her afternoon. What did it take for us to do that; minutes, seconds? Time really meant nothing.
How do you share your bliss? Are you stuck standing on the side of the parking lot wondering what to do? Do you offer a friendly hello to a stranger? What’s holding you back from being a light? Here are ten easy ideas to get you started.
1. Smile and say hello to strangers
2. Drop dinner /dessert off to a friend just because
3. Open a door for someone
4. Hold the elevator
5. Give genuine compliments
6. Let someone in line ahead of you
7. Buy coffee (or lunch) for the person in line behind you
8. Send a card or flowers to someone for no reason
9. Volunteer at a shelter for children, unwed mothers or the homeless
10. Listen, really listen, as someone tells their story
Spreading your blissings is quite rewarding; once you get started it’s hard to stop. Like the Allstate Commercial, it’s amazingly contagious. Imagine, what the world would be like if every one of us took just a few seconds a day to do something spontaneously nice…I can see it now!
Need more ideas, E-mail me… I love sharing a little bliss!
Monday, November 1, 2010
Fast forward - A few months ago we found a wonderful new pharmacy, ZMC Pharmacy, just outside of downtown Royal Oak (Michigan) that believes in the "old school" principles of great customer service - know your community, listen to your customers and be courteous and compassionate. Pharmacists Jalal and Louis know their stuff and go out of their way to accommodate their clientele.
"We were established by pharmacists who specifically wish to provide a higher level of attention to our patients. Our main focus is to offer our patients outstanding patient care and a personalized approach to their health care. By knowing your pharmacist, you have a great start to improving the quality of your health care."
NO THIS IS NOT A PAID ADVERTISEMENT! Simply sharing something that's working!
We don't take much in the way of prescription medicine, when we do, we want to buy from a source we trust, plus we really like to support local business owners. Factor in the rising costs of health care and we all like to get them at a reasonable price. At ZMC it's all of the above and more. Saturday I dropped off a prescription. They didn't have it in stock and had to order it, which would take a day. Louis offered to look on line before I returned to see if there was a manufacturers coupon available. That has never happened with me at CVS. Additionally, he spent a few minutes sharing printed material with my husband on why taking Niacin is so important and how he can save a few bucks on his next purchase.
So, if you live or work around Royal Oak I strongly suggest you transfer your prescriptions to ZMC. If you're in business I hope you'll follow their model. Today's crazy economy mandates that we do what we can to keep our customers just that - our customers!