Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Top 10 reasons to write a book

Blisstory Question: Have you ever wanted to write a book?

Currently I have published 3 books, with many more on the way, including 2 manuscripts. Simply completing that first one was such an incredible feeling. Even more amazing was when I actually began to sell a few, then a few more, then a few more.

With each one I've gained more and more insight as to why everyone, especially a business owner, needs to write a book of their own. When I meet with clients, one of the best tools I can give them is The Blisstory Journal. Filled with over 365 questions of the past, present and future, the book immediately gives them insight into themselves. Whether they share the answers with me or not, the process helps me get to know them better because they begin to look at themselves with more joy. It also reaffirms my message - helping them love and accept themselves as they are right now.

Here are my top 10 reasons to get started on yours today:

1. Everyone Has a Story - Simply being alive gives you a basis for a story. We all have a story, sometimes we just don't know where to start. If you are a business owner, you have a lot of information to share. Think about how you started - what is your why? Share your passion, share your success story.
2. Expertise - When you are write about your industry, you automatically become an expert in your field.
3. Elevated Status - Generally speaking, authors are respected by the community. This will put you on a whole new playing field.
4. It's Easy! - Once you get started. For some, it's just getting started. Try writing in a journal for 21 days. The Blisstory Journal is a great tool for getting started, with over 365 questions for you to answer.
5. Increases Your Visibility - You can reach a global audience faster - radio and TV people love to interview authors.
6. Competitive Edge - Being an author or expert in your field gives you a bonus over your competition.
7. Income Stream - The obvious is that they become part of your product list on your website. At any event you participate in, whether it's a networking event, trade show or speaking engagement, you will always have books available for sale.
8. Spin Off Products - You can create additional products from your book - such as workshops and journals.
9. Books Change Lives - When you share your passion and a powerful topic, you have the capacity to change lives, especially your own.
10. Leave a Legacy/Become Immortal - Books seldom go in the garbage. Your children will keep yours long after you are gone, to be shared with family and friends. Most people either donate books to charity, sell them at garage sales or cash them in at used book stores. Your book will continuously cycle.

What are you waiting for? Grab a pen and paper - start writing your story today!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thanks, Bliss Lady - I needed this today.
I take your blog as another cosmic kick in the butt for me to just DO IT ALREADY!
I'm a writer. I've been a journalist & columnist off and on for years. I've written manuscripts, film scripts - and dagnabbit I KNOW that I'll be published and produced in this life!
My recent project is turning into a trio of books on autism - The Joy of Autism, Asperger's Party Skills, the 3rd is yet untitled. Because I'm so passionate about this, it's so important to me, I've been letting one thing and another hold me back from completion... it has to be better, longer, shorter, and of course I'm a single parent of an autistic son...
Thanks for channeling the kick.