Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blisstory Question: What do you do to honor your father?

Are you a turtle?

This week marks the 14th anniversary of my father’s death! He is one of the greatest men I will ever know. I say ‘is’ because he is alive in my mind and heart and will be till I join him on the other side.

For those of you that have not had the honor of meeting him, I’m sharing a little bit about him. He was a WWII P.O.W., captured at the Battle of the Bulge and held, initially, in the Nazi Infirmary then sent to the adjoining camp. After being liberated, he was given a Purple Heart for serving his country. He never really talked much about the experience, but shared one love he gained from his countrymen; becoming an honorary member of The Turtle Club.

Every time a friend came to visit he shared The Turtle Creed (read above) and inducted them into the club. The Turtle Creed (again, read above) starts with “Turtles are bright eyed, bushy tailed, fearless and unafraid folk with a fighter pilot attitude. They think clean, have fun a lot, and recognize the fact that you never get any place worthwhile in life unless you stick your neck out.”

Yes, at first it was quite embarrassing, as a teen, to have your friends cornered by your Dad for some stupid club! As an adult, I am reminded that those words and the gifts he gave my friends are not so stupid. In fact, it’s incredibly brilliant and probably accounts for a big reason I am “The Bliss Lady.”

Why am I sharing this with all of you? I’m here to remind you that no matter what your circumstance, no matter how downtrodden and in the dumps life seems to be, there’s always another second to turn that all around. Carry a fighter pilot attitude and start flying high! Call or email me at Teri@theBlissNetwork.com and I’ll induct you into the club, where you’ll get your own “shell” and a complete copy of the Turtle Creed.

Don’t forget to ask me if I’m a turtle… If I don’t give you the secret password, I’ll owe you the drink of your choice. (I’m sure you all know mine…Coffee!) Most importantly, you’ll have a constant reminder to go ahead and “Stick your neck out!”

A few people I know that are "sticking their necks out"

* The Pink Fund is hosting their "Turning Burdens in to Blessings" luncheonat The Glen Oaks Country Club, Sunday, October 18. They'll be fun, fashion, a ton of information and delicious food. The Pink Fund financially assists women and men afflicted with breast cancer. We all know someone affected by this terrible disease. For more information visit their website at ThePinkFund.org.


* Le Cocoa Bee Honey will be at The Farmington Farmers Market selling lots of delicious honey. You can also grab some home made Baklava and pick up my books, The Blisstory Journal and The Sisstory Journal. Proceeds from the journals support two great causes. (Read my blog from last week for more info!)


* Check out Hippie Chick Resale hosted by none other than Lisa Marie. Lisa and her lovely daughter, Jillian, will be at the Royal Oak Farmers Market on Sunday, October 25 with some of the most amazing things you will ever find! They'll have only the coolest vintage clothing, retro gifts, soy candles in recycled containers, handmade items and soooo much more! Email Lisa Mare at metrochickradio@gmail.com or give her a call at 248-730-4407 for more details!

No comments: