Monday, October 26, 2009

This weeks Blisstory Question

What was a trip Downtown like when you were a child?

As soon as the first spring thaw arrived, so began my father’s weekly urge to head to Downtown Detroit’s Eastern Market, where we could get everything we needed for the week's food budget. Because he was so busy during the week with work and union activities, he urged his children to join him every Saturday morning from the end of March through mid November. He would wake me with a fresh brewed cup of coffee (no wonder I’m such a coffee snob) and a delicious breakfast. Did I mention we left the house by 5:30 a.m.? Yeah, a little too early for teenagers and tweens! I did it, though, because I loved hanging out with him and fully enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the market. We saw folks from every walk of life while walking around and around the market until my dad was sure he had the best deal!

My husband and I share a lot of the same, quirky ideas of what fun is all about. One of those quirky ideas is getting up at 5:00 am on a Saturday to head downtown to Detroit's Eastern Market. Our kids aren’t quite as thrilled to spend time with us that early in the morning, as I was with my dad, that’s for sure. This weekend the “usual suspects” were there: the Shea butter fellow with his table over the bridge, the mushroom man, and my favorite, the “Goooooooood morning Detroit” flower vendor in his long, yellow “Coat of Many Colors”. When I hear his voice, I get a great big smile on my face and have the urge to run up and hug him. Okay, so, I have run up and hugged him. Maybe that’s why he always remembers me.

This weekend we did something really different. After we grabbed our weekly fix of fruits and veggies, we hit the Russell Street Deli for breakfast! WOW! I wish I would have stopped in there 20 years ago or at least three years ago when Jason Murphy bought the place. Walking in the door, you are greeted with a very warm “welcome” from the staff. The place is clean and the aroma is magnificent; sweet and spicy at the same time. Gabe, one of the servers, graciously introduced us to Jason and shared details on the variety of specials on the menu.

Not being too daring when it comes to breakfast, we stuck with our favorite morning dish - home fries, the standard by which we judge all breakfast joints. Let me tell you we had, by far, the best home fries EVER. That says a lot coming from us, especially Jeff. He is very particular when it comes to his potatoes. There are mornings when that’s all he has for breakfast. For the first time, they were prepared exactly as ordered; extra crisp with scallions on top, a little salt and pepper and not too greasy. He moaned and groaned with every bite. We also split a vegetable scramble, well done (without even having to ask) loaded with mushrooms, peppers and onions. Everything was way better than we anticipated.

Do yourself a favor and hit the Russell Street Deli. Don’t worry you don’t have to get up at 5:00 am. Russell Street doesn’t open till 8:00 am. Of course, if you do go early, give us a call! We’d love to meet you for breakfast.

Oh, and be sure to tell them The Bliss Lady sent you.

P.S. Next time I'm going to try one of the sandwiches! They looked totally awesome and are served for breakfast on weekends only! Yum Oh!!!

No comments: