Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blisstory Question – What does integrity mean to you?

Integrity? What’s that my daughter asked? The definition, according to her favorite source, Dictionary.com, is:

1. Adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. The state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.

Ok, so what does that mean to a kid? It means, “be kind, be truthful, and be the person you would want to be your best friend.”

To preserve the integrity of my empire, that being my family, I look to lead by example. It’s really not that difficult when you think about it. First and foremost I tell my children to be true to yourself and then everything else will fall in to place. You’ll always know if it’s the right thing to do when it feels good. When that uneasy feeling begins in the pit of your stomach, you better run! I then tell them that when you live your life with integrity, you never really have to question whether it’s the right thing to do.

Over the years, I have experienced many who do not value the word, integrity. Sometimes I didn’t heed my own advice. I stayed in a situation, maybe a work environment, surrounded by people who had no ethics or values, people who were mean spirited. I stayed way beyond the point when I felt that knot in the pit of my stomach, hoping to make a difference. We’ve all been there. I’ve learned to listen to myself, to trust my instincts and to act on them. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “A little integrity is better than any career.”

Make it a blissful week!

No comments: