Sunday, March 21, 2010

Smile, even when you don't want to!




On January 23, I posted a link from Steve Martile, 10 Tips To Feel Good Instantly by Smiling - I smile most of the time, unless I'm stuffing my face - even then, I'm probably smiling, mainly because I really am a food freak!

Today I'm going to share an experience that reinforces the importance of smiling, even when you don't feel like it.

Most of you may not know that Jeff and I meditate, a lot~in many different ways and unique styles. Recently we've been attending the Detroit Lotus Sangha in Ferndale, MI. The Sangha is following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh and not only practices with a weekly meditation, they follow one of his books and share it in a group discussion every week. We love this group; it's an incredible community.

When one of the guests came in, I smiled brightly at her. She smiled back and when she asked how I was, I said, "Fabulous". She giggled and I thought to myself, "Wow, how lucky for me to hear such a beautiful sound." Whether she thought I was crazy or simply felt happier didn't matter, she smiled with a giggle, and my smile grew bigger!

Minutes later, another guest mentioned to me that he had been thinking of me. He said when he saw me for the first time I was smiling brightly and he thought to himself that "She must be having a good moment". Then he saw me the next week and I smiled equally as bright. He said, "I realized you are a smile and you make others want to smile, too." He finished with, "Today as I walked with mindfulness on the way in, I thought of you, and smiled!"

Ok, that was really one of the nicest compliments I have ever received. Yes, Molly,(that's my daughter) I am crying; tears of bliss, of course.

Thich Nhat Hanh said, "Because of your smile, you make life more beautiful."

Bliss On my friends!javascript:void(0)

No comments: