Monday, November 21, 2011

Friends helping friends - that's what makes the world go round!

This month, this Thanksgiving, I am going to "serve" my friend and soul sister, Teri Sertic. 25% of all Girlavanting book sale proceeds will be donated to Teri and her family, through November 30, 2011.

Teri is a single mom with 3 children. She is a shamanic practitioner, a massage therapist and a dance instructor, with the healing hands of an angel and a heart overflowing with love. She's also an American Veteran having served in the United States Air Force. This year has been extremely difficult for her and her family. On top of being a single mom and the challenges that brings, her youngest daughter, 3 year old little Jojo, was diagnosed with diabetes. Her blood sugar was at an unbelievably high rate and her poor little body was working overload to compensate. After spending almost a week in the hospital she was finally able to take Jojo home, along with daily doses of insulin and blood level checks on a regular basis.

This year has been extremely difficult for her and her family. On top of being a single mom and the challenges that brings, her youngest daughter, 3 year old little Jojo, was diagnosed with diabetes. Her blood sugar was at an unbelievably high rate and her poor little body was working overload to compensate. After spending almost a week in the hospital she was finally able to take Jojo home, along with daily doses of insulin and blood level checks on a regular basis.

Constant monitoring of her child, along with nurturing and mothering her 2 older children has made it extremely difficult for Teri to work on a regular basis. Imagine having to test your child's blood level every few hours and then having to administer insulin shots. Add to that having to find someone willing to care for that child when you go to work; someone willing to step up and give the same loving care to your daughter as you would.

During my years as a single mom life brought more challenges than I could possibly list...it also brought more joys - spending time with my children no matter what was the greatest gift. There were times when I had no idea how I was going to feed them, cloth them or make the house payment. I believe in the magic of the Universe so I knew it would all be taken care of, I just didn't know how. Thank GOD for the people in my life, those Earth Angels, those joyful giving spirits who silently or loudly helped us make it through; anonymous donations of food on my porch, checks from family and friends and gifts for my children. I can't say enough how grateful I am. I "pay it forward" by giving back to my community in some way every single day.

I am thankful beyond words that Teri is my friend and that her 3 beautiful children bless this world. In giving thanks I ask that you check within, to a time when you were in need, and someone reached out to help you, maybe a friend, maybe your family, maybe a stranger. Then, I am asking you to think about Teri and her children and reach out to help them all, in any way you can. She does work out of her house quite often, to be more readily available to her family. A great way to help might be to schedule yourself or friend a massage (one of the best massages I have ever had!) or girls night out dancing at her studio or maybe you simply want to donate love and prayers. Whatever you are inspired to do will be a blessing for her and her family.

Her website is: http://www.the-healing-spot.com/#! and her email is: javalovin@yahoo.com. To make a monetary donation, simply fill out a gift certificate and when prompted to enter a note, add "A gift for Teri Sertic and her family".

Remember, we are donating 25% of all Girlavanting book sales to Teri and her family. They make great holiday gifts for every woman on your list, from 5 to 105!

Feel free to pass this on to who ever you think might send a little love Teri's way.

No comments: