Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blisstory Question


Did you ever have a graveyard or haunted house experience?


Yesterday, during lunch with my friend, Annette Keeble, I shared a YouNeek experience my husband and I recently had. While in Georgia, we visited the Marietta National Cemetery, where over 10,132
Union Soldiers are buried, as well as those from the various "wars" our country has been involved in. For many, visiting a cemetery is an emotional, fearful experience. Not for us.

Jeff and I have visited many across the country. We love the history attached to each location. This particular visit we talked about the thousands of lives touched by the men and women buried there. As we were leaving, a woman came by to take pictures for her grandson. As it turned out, she had an incredible story. Apparently, Her great grand father is the only Confederate soldier buried in the Union cemetery he worked at after the war. He was the grounds keeper for more than 30 years there. Not only that, she is friends with one of my favorite people, former President Jimmy Carter.

The visit also inspired my husband to do a little research on my own father. While we were walking the grounds, I shared some details with Jeff regarding my fathers capture at The Battle of the Bulge during WWII. He was in a POW camp for several months. Thanks to the internet, Jeff was able to retrieve data and photo's of the camp he was in.

Next time you drive by a cemetery, release your fear and embrace the spirit of the thousands of people that went before you. Take a walk and read the head stones. There's a YouNEEK story behind each one. Without those that served our country, we would not have the freedoms we have today. No matter how things look, they always get better!

The Bliss Lady

No comments: