Friday, August 21, 2009

Philanthropic endeavors.....

For years, those that know me well, saw this quote, from Ben Stein, on every email I sent out, "A life lived to serve others is the only life that matters". It is the essence of my life and The Bliss Network. In fact, most of the people I surround myself with feel the same.

Since my youth I have pitched in where needed; donated time and money to an endless list of causes. I can remember my first "March of Dimes" walk on Belle Isle and the Ronald McDonald fund raising kit for backyard parties. (OK, so that one gets a little foggy). Someone help me out here....LOLOL

Back in the early spring, I sat down for breakfast with Judy Davids. We cried together about the state of the economy and the many, many families I had seen at the homeless shelter. That evening, Judy met a man named Roy Watson. Roy is as humble of a man as I will ever know. (Next to my father, of course). Roy heads up a small little non-profit with a biggggg heart, South Oakland Citizens for the Homeless Welcome Inn. What Roy and his group do is the epitome of that quote. They don't just feed "homeless men, women, and children". They help them by offering them resources to rebuild their lives: computer access, social work, food, showers, laundry, transportation, just to name a few.

Judy Davids and I have formed a company, EarthAngelsRelief, to assist organizations like Roy's. This week, (August 21 through August 27) we have arranged for MooseJaw to offer a 20% discount on the purchase of a new backpack, at their Michigan Stores, to anyone that donates a used backpack. What Crepe is also offering a 20% discount off an entree when a back pack is donated. Read more...

It's time for most of our kids to go back to school! Take that old backpack and head up to MoosJaw. According to them, it's the nicest thing they've ever done. When you read about the South Oakland Citizens for the Homeless Welcome Inn, you'll see why!

The Bliss Lady

No comments: