Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Where would you be if you could be anywhere else? How about right where you are...

Monday, I had the unexpected opportunity of driving up to Alpena with my brother and my son. After my transmission blew on the way, my brother, Thom, graciously dropped his plans for the day and scooped us up for a long drive.
(The picture to the right is actually a picture of Thom as "The Jimmer" in "Escanaba in Da Moonlight". Quite a fitting picture, I thought.)

I've traveled quite extensively throughout the U.S, never out of the country. Many times I've had trips abroad planned and paid for, only to have to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances. Most of the time I take it as the Universe's way of telling me to stay put.

Where would you be if you could be anywhere? For me, the answer to that question is pretty simple. Right here, right now. Where would I want to be other than the present moment? I am so grateful every minute to be exactly where I am, Blissville. Every day we are simply passengers on the road of life, with a choice to enjoy the view. For me, Monday was no different.

As I sat in the back seat of my brothers car I really had the opportunity to pay attention, to be mindful of the moment. What else was I going to do? Read, write, sleep or watch the view of Michigan and our beautiful Lake Huron. I chose to stay awake and enjoy the view.

I've been practicing mindfulness and awareness for quite some time. This practice constantly reminds me to be present with where I am and who I am with. I was in a vehicle traveling up the shores of Lake Huron from Detroit to Alpena. It's wonderful to see the change from summer to fall, with winter close behind. The further we traveled along the colors changed from crimson red to golden yellow; in some areas the trees were already bare. The waves were about 2' high and continuously crashed along the shoreline creating a picturesque scene. Every now and then we spotted a deer or flock of birds as they migrated south. It was truly breathtaking.

What was even more incredible was listening to my son and my brother chat, laugh and sing. Every now and then I piped up with a few comments of my own. Mainly, I simply enjoyed the sounds of the two of them loving life, laughing out loud and living in the moment. It could have been a great commercial for American Express - You know, peanut butter and jelly $4.00, ticket $40, transmission work $400 - hanging with the boys, priceless...Even listening to both of them sing Jimi Hendrix's Purple Haze over and over wasn't so bad.

Today, I encourage you to take a look around, take a walk, or take a drive with a friend, and be present to where you are and who you're with; find a little bliss. Even in the midst of a big city, there's joy - sometimes you simply need to be open...

A Bliss Challenge...when you're roaming around, pay attention to the times you see the word "bliss" on a billboard, banner, storefront, maybe even a bumper sticker. Take a picture of it and send it in to sharemybliss@theblissnetwork.com...(The one here is from my friend Alexx) We know it's out there...We want to know if you've "Got Bliss?" We will host a random drawing the first week of every month. One lucky winner will receive our custom "Got Bliss?" stickers. Thank you in advance And Many BLISSINGS to you all.

1 comment:

Cathy Zucker said...

Thank you for this beautiful reminder. As Louise Hay says "The point of power is in the present moment." Breathe and enjoy!