Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gossip, Gossip, Gossip!


Week One of My Inner Mean Cleanse with
Christine Arylo and Amy Ahlers


Gossip - Enough is Enough!

So, I'm perfectly imperfect. Yes, that has been my mantra around the house for years. Every now and then I rationalize why it's "OK" to say just this one thing about "someone" or "something" and to jump in and comment when my girls are talking trash about someone. Why? Because I'm human.

In following the teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh I have learned to step back and be aware of when I do fall into the "gossip" trap. However, because I do have that "Inner Mean Girl" who randomly wants to be heard, sometimes my awareness button doesn't turn on.

Does being aware that my awareness button didn't turn on count as part of the process to cleaning up that "Inner Mean Girl"?

One thing I've realized is that I am aware of when I am falling into that space and catch myself by using the tips suggested - changing the subject or finding something nice to say instead. Sometimes I even boldly state that "I am not commenting" or "I am practicing kindness and compassion". This week I added, "I'm getting rid of that 'Inner Mean Girl' and we are working on speaking with love." That really sparked a conversation, starting with "Who the heck is she?"

This week it was particularly challenging for me as I was with a friend who loves to gossip. At times I found myself rationalizing as to why it was OK to discuss this topic, even though I knew it was still gossip. In the end I literally had to walk away so I didn't get sucked further into the abyss.

The bottom line is that it's not OK to gossip. It's really just the ego's way of stepping in to control something that is of no value or use to us. Most of the time it's easy for me to say, "I don't even want to know or hear about it". Focusing on kindness and compassion is the key. Knowing that each and every one of us suffers in some way makes it easy to find something to love and cherish in others.

This week's challenge only reinforced my mission of sharing a little more bliss with the planet. Can't wait to see what's next!

P.S. I am participating in the Inner Mean Girl 40 Day Cleanse as a Self Love Ambassador. To thank me for my participation, I will receive a self-love gift from the founders of Inner Mean Girl Reform School.

No comments: