Thursday, June 9, 2011

Always do what you are afraid to do!

Day 9 - #Trust30

The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson says: “Always do what you are afraid to do.”

What is ‘too scary’ to write about? Try doing it now.

“A reverence for our past act or word, because the eyes of others have no other data for computing our orbit than our past acts, and we are loath to disappoint them.”

This is such a powerful statement. As a writer and speaker, I still get that “knots in my stomach” feeling every time I post or am in front of an audience. There was a time when no amount of money or act of kindness could put me in front of people. To some that may be shocking. But I was afraid of what people would think of me, what they may think of my actions and what they may ask or say to me, during and after. Those fears are, and were, simply an illusion.

What’s the worst that can happen – a booger on my face or a stain on my shirt; maybe I’ll trip over my words or fall on my face? Nobody’s really going to remember any of those 10 years from now. Ok, maybe they will remember the booger, I probably would. I know at least one person benefits from my facing my fears and delivering words in print or live, ME! After it’s done, my fears are erased - until the next time.

“Thoughts are just thoughts! I don’t have to allow them to overwhelm me” from Daily OM. Instead, I know they exist in me and I consistently move with, through and past them.

Blissings to all!

(Disclaimer: This post is part of the free #Trust30 - 30 day writing challenge. Check it out and jump in. What are you afraid of?)

No comments: