Saturday, January 2, 2010

It's just stuff!

Nine years ago today I awoke in the middle of the night to a house filled with smoke; my smoke alarms never went off. The Fire Chief from the Bloomfield Township Fire Department said, “Someone up there is looking out for you. The majority of people that experience the kind of fire you all had don’t make it out alive.” Thank God for small miracles.

Running through the house, I woke everyone in the middle of the night, getting them up and out as quick as possible. Years of listening to the fire fighters that visited my children's classroom paid off! Everyone did what they were taught; they headed for the meeting spot in front of the house. The Bloomfield Twp. Fire Department was there in less than two minutes – quick enough to save the structure and our pets! I remember the look on my daughters face when a young fire fighter handed her one of our kittens. Talk about priceless. We lost almost all of our belongings – what does it matter, it’s just stuff. Every one of us made it out alive.

We were fortunate enough to have insurance, (even if you rent, you need insurance) as well as many, many friends, family and a few strangers, who pitched in to help us through the cold and crazy days that followed. To you all, my family is forever grateful. Watching the news the last couple of days, hearing the countless stories of people that experienced the loss a fire creates, made me realize even more how precious life is. Celebrate life, live in the present and help someone, somehow– that’s how I plan to spend the rest of my days! I hope you’ll join me!

Here's to your most blissful years ever! Bliss Out!

No comments: